The Missions Department facilitates the Church's responsibility to fulfil the biblical mandate to preach the Gospel and to make disciples of all the world's peoples.
We support ministries, personnel, organisations and projects both at home and abroad through Faith-Promise giving and special missions offerings. Church planting, sending missionaries and training workers are our priority activities.
Every six months we commit ourselves to a new Faith Promise challenge. With all that is taking place in our economy, I have been wondering to myself, “How in the world am I going to fulfil my promise?” Well, thankfully it is not “in the world” that I fulfil my promise, but “in the Lord”. One of the Faith Promise testimonies reminded me that faith is not dependent on us, but on God who is our Provision. We must not forget how important our faith giving is. The five who were water baptised in the Serendah outreach is a fruit of your giving. The 163 that have been saved through Harvesters Assembly in Yei, Sudan, is another of your fruits. One of the ways to keep your faith going is to feed on God’s Word. God used two-year old Joshua Looi to hit home this truth. He normally hates to eat but when he got a Barney plate, he happily ate all his food because with each bite, he got a clearer picture of Barney at the bottom of the plate! Likewise, the more we feed on God’s Word, the clearer we will see God. And there is nothing better to encourage and build our faith than seeing God!
Associate Pastor Steven Kum
Church Missions Pastor
We thank the Lord for every Faith Promise partner that has signed up in the Faith Promise Sunday throughout the years. Many adults and children have pledged to be partners with God in the work of missions.
As our Senior Pastor has said, “Faith that cannot be tested cannot be trusted. As you put your faith to the test through your participation, be assured of God’s promise. His Word is trustworthy. A ship docked in a harbour can be a beautiful sight. However, it was not made for the harbour. It was made for the deep seas – crossing oceans, enduring the weather and its storms in order to reach its destination and fulfil its purpose. Similarly, God has given you faith to trust Him to meet your challenges and fulfil His purpose for your life.”
“Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:3–4)
It is your faithful Faith Promise giving, combined with your prayers, that enables our missions works to progress.
Bible School Training
Calvary Church encourages Bible School Training as a means of equipping for full-time ministry. The training encompasses the development of knowledge (academic), character and practical skills. Bible school students are sent to Bible College of Malaysia (English, Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia language) or Malaysian Tamil Bible Institute (Tamil language). Classes are conducted on weekdays and ministry on weekends.
Calvary Church members who have a full-time calling. The necessity for Bible school training depends on area of calling. Speak with one of our pastors.
Those who desire to take part-time classes because of a desire to grow deeper, improve your service or explore full-time calling, are encouraged to speak with one of our pastors prior to registering. We want to guide you to fulfil your calling.
“Bible College of Malaysia (BCM) has equipped me to serve effectively in ministry through the knowledge gained and fellowship.” – Fion Chan, BCM graduate
“BCM has helped to broaden my perspective and outlook with a balance of theological and practical training. Many of my personal prejudices, which hinder my ministry and relationship with the Lord, have been curbed.” – Samuel Yap, BCM graduate
“Dalam dua tahun masa pelajaran di MTBI (Malaysian Tamil Bible Institute) dan pelayanan di bawah pimpinan Gereja Calvary, saya amat merenungkan ayat di 1 Peter 3:6. Saya faham bahawa setiap manusia mempunyai masa depan dan ia bukan di tangan kita tetapi di tangan Tuhan. Kita harus merendahkan diri dalam semua kelakuan dan sebagainya. Saya bangga kerana saya dapat melayan di bawah pimpinan Gereja Calvary.” – Kathelin a/p Arikhersamy, MTBI graduate
Sponsorship is available upon request subject to meeting the following criteria:
- Has a full-time calling.
- Member of Calvary Church or its outreach.
- Proven record of ministry involvement with recommendation from head of ministry.
- Has a real need for sponsorship, e.g. unable to self-support and family members cannot / will not support, or have dependent family members.
- Willingness to serve in Calvary Church or wherever assigned by Calvary Church upon completion of studies.
The sponsorship given is for school fees and related allowances needed as a student.
The Living Sacrifice Programme of Calvary Church serves as a ministry placement facility for all who have been called to give of themselves for the work of the Lord. This is especially catered to those who are exploring full-time ministry. A minimum commitment of one year is required for the Church to assign you for a ministry placement.
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship... Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:1-2).
To find out more, speak with one of our pastors.
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him” (Hebrews 11:1; 6).
A Faith Promise is a personal commitment made by a believer both spiritually and financially to the Lord to support the church’s missions work.
- It requires faith because it is anchored in what you can believe God for. Can you believe Him to meet your needs when you give out of what you have? Certainly! Can you believe Him to provide for what you do not have? Absolutely!
- It is a promise because of the agreement to provide a certain amount over a specific period of time. When God blesses us, we keep our promise by channelling the promised funds to the church to reach others.
- It is personal because it is a covenant between God and you.
“Give and it will be given, a good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke 6:38).
- It allows you to expect great things from God. When you give with the motive of love for the lost, the Lord always blesses you in return.
- It helps you attempt great things for God. When you give with the desire to do His will to save the lost world, the Lord will do mighty works in your midst.
- It causes you to anticipate great things from God. When you commit to trust God by providing funds for world evangelisation, you are making a contribution for the lives of others and the kingdom of God and the Lord will stretch your faith and bring you great joy and fulfilment.
“Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you” (Romans 12:3).
- Make a promise according to the faith that God has given you to trust Him for.
- Do not look at your monthly income and expenditure. Be obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
- Do not compare with others nor feel conscious about what others would say. It is solely between you and God.
Your Faith Promise giving supports:
- Global Partnership & Outreach
- Local Partnership & Outreach: Calvary Life Ministries, Calvaryland, Pusat Jagaan Calvary Sunshine, Calvary Communication Ministry
- Human Resource Support & Training
- Church Vehicles and Equipment
- Calvary Convention Centre
An example of the blessings of faith can be seen in the life of Hannah, the mother of the great prophet Samuel (1 Samuel 1-2). She was barren, but because of her faith, God blessed her with a son who became a great prophet and judge that led and delivered Israel. Hannah herself was blessed with an additional three sons and two daughters (1 Samuel 2:21), more than she could ask or imagine. Because of your faith, great things can be done for the Lord. Many lives can be blessed including your own. The power of prayer and exercise of faith brings us into closer partnership and trust with God.
Since our Faith Promise programme began in 1973, the faith giving per head has increased five-fold. This testifies that God has been blessing the partners and the partners in return have not only been fulfilling their promises but increasing their faith!
Here are some testimonies:
- “Being able to fulfill my Faith Promise has strengthened my faith. I now exercise more faith in God and see answers for other areas of my life.”
- “It’s such a joy to bless others through giving! It fosters compassion in me and participation in God’s work.”
- “It helps my church in reaching the world with the Gospel by providing the needed finances for this.”
“‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord” (Isaiah 55:8).
Here are some testimonies on how God provides for our Faith Promise:
- “God usually helps me give through expected and unexpected provisions such as commissions, bonus, gifts, and refunds.”
- “I give what I have in hand and trust God to meet the needs for what I have given.”
- “My family and I try to be good stewards by spending wisely. Sometimes we make sacrifices but God has always blessed us back in many different ways.”
- It reinforces what is done or promised spiritually. As humans, we need physical signs to strengthen and remind us of the spiritual aspect. (Zechariah 9:11; Matthew 26:28)
- It stresses the importance of keeping the commitment. Breaking a physical act is more obvious than breaking a spiritual covenant. (Genesis 17:10-11; Exodus 31:13)
- It is the only way the church can have a systematic missions budget. Through your indicated Faith Promise, the church will know whether it is able to meet its budget for missions works and projects.
Faith Promise programme runs half yearly. For regular worshippers, you are encouraged to make and give a monthly promise as it enables your faith to be exercised regularly rather than on a one-time basis. A new faith promise is made / renewed every six months (January and July).
You can be a Faith Promise partner today without waiting for the next Faith Promise Sunday. Just decide what you believe God for (monthly or one time) and when you come for a service, put your Faith Promise giving in the brown envelope with your particulars. When Faith Promise Sunday comes, you can then fill in the card.